Friday, August 3, 2012

7,000 amphibians and counting


Bactrachologists are having a party! 7,000 amphibians have been named!

Centrolene sabini. That's the 7,000th amphibian found. It has pretty common glassfrog features. You know, nuptial pads, tetralobed liver, translucent hepatic peritoneum, green bones, the usual. (Thank you amphibiaweb)

Amphibians are pretty cool. That's not even meant to be a pun! I mean, if you think it's a funny pun, then by all means laugh at my hilarious punting, but if you think it is an unfunny pun, then it was not meant to be a pun but rather just a common saying referring to the hipness of an amphibian and not the fact that their blood runs cold.

Frogs...newts...salamanders...all wonderful little critters that love to breathe with their skin. How weird would that be? It would be like sniffing with your fingers!

You could wave your hand near a freshly baked cookie and smell it! (That may or may not be scientifically accurate.)

If an amphibian sneezes, does that mean snot just comes out of every pore of their body? Or are they insecure about that because they just secrete mucus all the time?

I won't bring that up at the amphibian shindig celebration for number 7,000. Or, as we bactrachologists like to say, the  "A7K Par-tay."

I hope to see you at there! I'll be bringing some good snacks. I make a creamed beetle dip that is to die for. I walk into a party and the tongues start flying.

Because, you know, they're sticky and catch their food that way.

My tongue is sticky, too. But that's because I put glue on it so I can fit in with the amphibians.

I'm off to catch some bugs.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment