Friday, June 7, 2013

make the itching stop

Scientists have often wondered why we itch. Because it’s really annoying and scientists hate having to scratch an itch when they’re doing something really important like solving the mystery of quantum entanglement.

Apparently, neuropeptide natriuretic polypeptide b, or Nppb, is the molecule that makes us feel an itch. Once it travels to the brain, we feel the urge to scratch ourselves. Are you feeling it right now? That’s cool. I am too.

They decided to breed mice without Nppb to see what happened. Guess what! They gave these mice a rash and they didn’t have to scratch it! Yay science!

They said that they didn’t want to do this in humans yet because it’s important for the heart and blood pressure or something. I don’t know. They make it sound important.

Here’s the part that I found really interesting. This work was done in the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research!

What?! Why are dentists trying to figure out my itching?! Do teeth itch? Is that a problem that dentists have to figure out?

Should I be worried about itchy teeth?! That’s freaking me out!

Maybe tooth research is done? We know everything about teeth, so dentists are bored and are looking at other stuff. I mean, what else is there? We can fix cavities, we have toothpaste, and we can even put fake teeth in!

Since these dentists were so bored, they started scratching their heads wondering what else to do and I guess they decided that scratching was interesting enough to study.

And they figured it out! We should get dentists to research everything. Clearly they know how to get results. Pearly, white results.

They also know how to get novocaine. Which is fun for parties and holidays.

I’m off to scratch my teeth.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment