Friday, October 5, 2012

the proper way to eat a cupcake


I saw something yesterday that told me I was eating cupcakes all wrong.

Here's what you're supposed to do. Rip off the bottom. Put it on top of the frosting. Then eat. So, it's like two "slices" of cupcake with frosting in the middle.

No. That is NOT how you eat a cupcake. THAT is how you eat a whoopie pie. If I wanted a whoopie pie, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A WHOOPIE PIE!

Since I bought a cupcake, I will eat it LIKE A CUPCAKE SHOULD BE EATEN! Awkwardly bite it on the top or the side and get frosting on my face. Like it was meant to be!

I'm sorry to get so excited about this, but really, it's unnatural to eat a cupcake like a whoopie pie. THAT is why we make BOTH wonderful pastries!

Cupcake comes  from the words "cup" and "cake." Cup means: hand-held liquid holder. Cake means: fluffy, crumbly goodness topped with frosting.

One day, somebody didn't want to eat a whole cake, so they took their tin cup (in ye olde dayes, everybody had tin cups) and put all the cake ingredients in there. Baked it. Put frosting on it. And the cupcake was born.

That person's neighbor, Mr. Whoopie (the cupcake person's name is lost to history because the pastry is not named after them and if you don't get a pastry named after you, nobody will ever remember who you are), loved cake-food and frosting, but didn't like the mess. So he put frosting in the middle of two cakey items.

Today's lesson: if you want a whoopie pie, get one. If you want a cupcake, get one. If you want to eat your cupcake like a whoopie pie...hang your head in shame.

I'm off to cup my cake and whoopie my pie.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment