Wednesday, August 14, 2013

remember the whistle

If you bumped into a friend after 20 years, would you remember them?

I guess it depends on the friend. And maybe the age. If I had a friend that I haven’t seen since I was 8, I probably would not recognize them 20 years later.

But a dolphin can! Dolphins are crazy good at remembering stuff! Like their friends!

Some dolphinologist wanted to see if dolphins could remember each other after 20 years apart. He found some dolphins that were together early in their life, then separated and moved around for 20 years. He recorded one of the dolphin’s whistles and then played it to another one.

Guess what?! The dolphins would remember their friend’s whistles!

How crazy is that?! Next time I see somebody I know, I think I will whistle. Just to see if they recognize me.

Me: *whistle*

Friend from 20 years ago: “Um…are you ok?”

Me: *whistle*

Friend: “Do you need something?”

Me: *WHISTLE*

Friend: “Kids, run out to the car and call the police! I’ll hit this weirdo with French bread until they get here!”

The funny thing is that every time I bump into an old friend, that’s what happens. Whether I whistle or not. ("Whether I whistle" is fun to say.)

Okay, that’s not true; I don’t have any old friends. That’s just what happens when I talk to people in the supermarket. And, oddly enough, at the library.

I’m off to check out a book and a loaf of French bread.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment