Thursday, December 5, 2013

singing for peace

Have you ever been to the cloud forests of Central America? No? You really should check it out. It’s quite a sight.

I’ve never been there, but I did look up pictures online. That’s almost just like being there for realsies.

I did not know this, but biologists have been wondering “why some animals are found in particular places and not others.”

I’m not kidding! That’s the actual quote from the story! They want to know this!

Turns out, singing mice have given them the answer!

There are these mice in the forest that straighten up to look at the sky and start to sing. It’s a high-pitched tweeting sounding thing. No, not the notification sound you hear when you get a tweet. More like a birdie tweeting from a tree.

They look up and sing and this keeps other mice away so there is no fighting for land.

Though, if two mice wanted the same spot, wouldn’t they fight for it? But, they don’t even bother if one is singing there? So…why even fight in the first place?

Again, I’m not a biologist, so I can’t follow mousey logic. I CAN say that my logic is very similar, though!

Whenever I’m about to get into a fight, I sing in a very high-pitched voice. Usually Close To You by The Carpenters.

Doesn’t work too well with humans. But I’ve never been in a fight with a mouse after my singing, so I guess it DOES work!

I’m off to find out why birds suddenly appear.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment