Friday, April 4, 2014

bring in da nose, bring in da funk

Smell anything? I bet you do! You probably smell everything! Because your nose is awesome!

They say that one does not simply walk into odor, but I’m pretty sure you do. I don’t know why Boromir said that. Maybe he wasn’t involved with this study.

Yes! A study! Olfactory science is a booming business! Scientists had people smell a bunch of stuff and they figured out that you can smell over a trillion different scents!

That’s an intense scents sense! I mean, you can hear about 340,000 tones. See maybe 10 million colors. But that’s nothing compared to a TRILLION!

They had people smell a whole bunch of different odor molecules to get to the trillion mark. But they think that’s still too low.

Everything we smell is made up of different combinations of odor molecules. Like, a rose, which has 275. I’m sure you know that, though. Even Shakespeare wrote “that which we call a rose by any other name would still smell like 275 odor molecules.”

Maybe you don’t know that one. It’s in the original script. Not the Leo and Claire one.

I’m a big smeller. Wait…that sounds weird. I mean that I like to smell things. Mostly food. It’s fun to get a scent of some new treats before you eat them.

Especially when you open a new bag of jelly beans. Those are odor molecules that know how to get my nose hairs tingling!

I’m sorry if you think that’s gross. But I don’t care. Because my nose is a valued part of my body and I will not let its propensity to get snotty make me lose any respect for it!

So when you’re enjoying the smell of something, make sure you thank your nose for giving you that special moment.

And if you smell something stinky, well, don’t blame your nose. It’s just letting you know that those odor molecules are bad and you should throw away the evil, lumpy milk!

I’m off to tear open a bag of jelly beans. Mmmmmmmm…

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment