Tuesday, November 6, 2012

fifty years of oursons guimauve


Chocolate-covered marshmallow teddy bears have just turned 50. The French LOVE them. I know that because I saw the headline that said "Why the French Love Chocolate Bears."

When I saw that headline, I got very excited. In my head, this was a full-size bear made of chocolate. That told me stories at night. And didn't mind when I would eat its giant chocolate arm.

These little oursons guimauveses might be fantastic. The French think they are BEYOND fantastic. Actually saying it "is like Marcel Proust's madeleine cake that launched his voyage into the remembrance of things past."

From what I gather, Proust had some sort of magic cake that would cause him to remember things when he was a child.

Like if your grandmother always had a milano cookie ready for you after dinner, you might remember those dinners as soon as you bite into a milano cookie.

Or if you walk into a house that smells like the cottage you went to when you were younger, you immediately feel like you're back there.

THAT is the Marcelian Proustian reference. Which isn't great. Because that means if you DO eat an oursons guimauve, you are going to write 3,200 pages of memories about 2,000 people and die before you finish your edits.

Is that really the reference the French should use? Really? How about, "It's like the Eiffel Tower in your mouth!"

Or, "Tastes better than the Louvre on a Sunday!"

NOPE! Those French have to go and make a literary reference!

There's always so much ado about nothing in France. Whatever...all's well that ends well, right?

Wanna hear my literary reference? Oursons guimauve are like the Guardians of the Galaxy teaming up with the Avengers to stop the Skrulls from taking over the Earth.

THAT is how you get literary!

I'm off to oursons guimauve.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment