Monday, June 16, 2014

cheese on wood

I don’t know much about cheese. I don’t really eat it very often. I have nothing AGAINST cheese. I just don’t spend a lot of time with it.

But I know that some people do! And for you, this could be scary! The FDA is “concerned” about wood-aged cheese.

Apparently, some artisan cheeses are ripened on wooden boards. They use wood because there’s something about it being porous and allowing the perfect amount of moisture and bacteria to ripen the cheese. (Spruce and Ash are good wood choices for your cheese making.)

Well, the FDA is worried that a BAD bacteria is going to get into cheese, as well. Listeria.

Wooden cheese lovers are not happy about this, so they are trying to figure out if this is really a problem. And THAT is where Arthur Hill comes in!

Arthur is a food scientist who studies cheese at the University of Guelph in Canada.

That’s right! There’s a place called Guelph! Where you can rent a bike! See the Donkey Sanctuary! And enjoy the Just for Cats Internet Cat Video Festival!

You can also learn about cheese! Because that’s what Arthur does! He’s a cheese scientist. Which is real. I mean, there’s a science for everything, and cheeses has all sorts of molds and bacteria and curdles, so it seems like a study full of culture. (HA!)

Now, I found this story online. How does one even FIND a cheese scientist? Maybe that’s why I’m not a journalist. I wouldn’t even know where to look for that.

Well, I suppose I know now. The Dairy Building in Guelph.

Professor Hill says the FDA might be overreacting. Though, he might not really care because he’s in Canada and the FDA doesn’t really tell him what to do. Also, he might be distracted by the Cat Video Festival.

I’m off to visit the donkeys.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment