Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the computer in your hand

I saw some video a few weeks ago that has stuck in my mind. It was Newton Leroy Gingrich. You might call him Newt. Because you’re his buddy. And when you buddy with somebody, you shorten their name.

At least, that’s what I see people do on television. I don’t know what it’s like to have a buddy.

Newty Newt put out a video about his phone. His “smartphone.” He doesn’t like the name. He says that it is no more phone than it is a computer. Basically, it’s a computer that also makes phone calls. All from the palm of your hand!

And he’s absolutely right! Yeah, these things basically started out as phones, but are you really making phone calls on it?! NO! You’re playing games and looking at Facebook and taking pictures for Instagram!

It is, in fact, a device that communicates with other devices. Hence, the first name I will propose to Newton. A “Communicator.”

Just like they used in Star Trek! I think it would be a fitting homage to a show about the future that we are finally catching up to. So, if you ever ask me to text you, I will use my communicator to do it.

If you don’t like that name, I have one more to propose. “Dragon.”

You: “Could you check on the weather?”

Me: “Sure, let me just get my dragon and find out.”

You: “And then call Newton about the movies?”

Me: “Absolutely. I’ll call him with my dragon.”

You: “Also, could you attack an evil castle holding a demon wizard casting a spell of lameness over the world?”

Me: “Yep! My dragon will take care of that! With a very awesome app!”

See?! Wouldn't you look cool if you had a dragon, too?!

Or you could keep calling it a smartphone. Yawn.

I’m off to watch youtube with my dragon.

Enjoy Everything.

-dj

No comments:

Post a Comment